June 15, 2009

I Hate the Azzurri, and I Really Hate Giuseppe Rossi

Before the 2006 World Cup, I didn't have any reason to dislike the Italian national team, but I certainly didn't consider myself a fan. After the Italy vs. United States game in the World Cup, I developed a strong dislike for the Azzurri and Daniele de Rossi after his violent elbow to Brian McBride's nose. After they beat Australia, the only team remaining who I was rooting for, in a penalty shootout, I was heartbroken. And when Marco Materazzi hit the deck after Zidane's headbutt in the World Cup final, I lost all remaining respect for the team.

And then 22-year-old Giuseppe Rossi, a born and bred American with an incredible amount of talent at a position the United States national team sorely needed skill at (striker), left to play for Italy, an established world soccer powerhouse and, of course, the reigning World Cup champions.


So when Giuseppe Rossi, who only has one goal for Italy in five previous senior team appearances, comes on as a second half substitute and scores two sublime goals against the country of his birth (and then dedicates his two goals to his American family members ), it left us American fans both fuming and envious. US public enemy no. 1 Daniele de Rossi's game winning goal in the 71st minute was the icing on the cake for a defeat that will be hard to swallow. No one really expected the United States to win, but this is just plain cruel.

Ricardo Clark's harsh (in my opinion, at least) straight red card in the first half made sure the United States would be playing down a man for the second time in as many games against Italy, making an already tough task even tougher. Even so, a Landon Donovan penalty before halftime put the United States shockingly ahead going into halftime. The Rossi's, however, made sure that an upset would never happen.

Now, the United States has got to play Brazil and Egypt. Great.

No comments:

Post a Comment