July 7, 2009

Gooch to AC Milan (!!!!)


There was a lot of speculation as to where American center back Oguchi Onyewu would end up this summer, but I don't think anyone thought he would sign with a club of this stature.

AC Milan have signed Gooch to a three-year deal on a free transfer from his old club Standard Liege. Yes, AC MILAN, who are 17-time winners of Serie A and 5-time winners of the Champions League, have signed an American!

I know Gooch was being linked with various English and French sides, but I don't think anyone - no American fans, no AC Milan fans - saw this coming. The story on the ESPN Soccernet website is speculating that he could start at center back next to Thiago Silva, a young Brazilian who also recently signed with the club.

I wonder if his impressive performance at the Confederations Cup won him this move. It's a great step forward for the national team, and if he performs well, it would open numerous doors for top American players down the line. As long as he gets playing time (I don't think anyone knows how much he will get at this point), he will become an even more vital part of the national squad.

Congrats Gooch! Now go make the most of it! I've never liked AC Milan, but I think I can make exceptions this time around for the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment