July 8, 2009

Ronaldo's Ego

In an ESPN Soccernet article posted today, Cristiano Ronaldo thanks Sir Alex Ferguson for making him a less selfish player.

Some of Ronaldo's quotes about this topic are pretty funny I think:
"It's obvious that I'm a less egotistical footballer now. I know for sure that four years ago I always played to try to end up scoring myself.

Ok so maybe I'm taking comments out of context and am being a bit harsh in my interpretation of them, but my God, he's one of the most selfish soccer players I've ever seen! He throws tantrums whenever a call doesn't go his way, and he always demands extra protection from referees (which is certainly warranted some of the time, but not in every game he plays). Sure, he has all the talent in the world, but he seems to have really taken that to his head specifically during these last two seasons at Manchester United. I do think he calmed down a bit this season when he realized he couldn't repeat his 31 league goals from the year before.

Of course, Madrid didn't do anything to quell his ego after shattering the world transfer fee record on him after just breaking it for Kaka just a few days before.

In Ronaldo's defense, he had some very kind things to say about Sir Alex Ferguson, giving him all the credit for turning him into the player he is now.

It makes you wonder though...if Ferguson stalled Ronaldo's ego, what was it like before he came to Manchester United and what would it be like now if he had never been under Ferguson's tutelage??

No comments:

Post a Comment